Sunday 16 September 2012

Review of Between

Review of Between by: Lexcade

Rating: Yay!

As a courtesy, I must be up front with you. I talk to Cyndi on Twitter, and I did kind of help reveal her new cover on my personal/quasi-professional blog a while back. Also, I’m counted as one of #AidensAngels. So that’s my being up front with you now. It isn’t to say that my review is going to be one major squeal fest. I can still keep a level head and maintain objectivity.

Here’s the thing, though. The book is GREAT. There’s a reason I became as involved as I am.
We first meet Lindsey, the book’s protagonist, as she and then-boyfriend Ravi are driving, presumably returning from a date. There’s a car accident. It’s not good.

Then we meet Aiden, a Scotsman of the clan MacRae, who refers to himself as a Transporter. Not the Jason Statham kind, but the kind that transports souls to Heaven, a place where he’s not allowed in because he’s “waiting for the one whose love will redeem him.” Tefft sets up the conflict early. We learn a little bit about our two main characters, and for a while, it’s just them in this Between-world of Lindsey and Aiden’s making. There’s no visible antagonist, and that’s what makes this book so interesting to me. The antagonist, if we have to name one, the destructive force threatening to keep our hero and heroine from what they want (each other)…is Heaven itself.

I’ll let that sink in.

The pull of Heaven threatens to separate spunky Lindsey from charming and inquisitive Aiden. They’re on borrowed time. Between is one of those books that, in my opinion, borders on literary fiction because it’s more character driven and is more about Lindsey and Aiden’s interactions with each other and learning about each other than trying to outsmart Heaven’s pull on Lindsey. They cast memories. Aiden shows Lindsey how he died, and Lindsey shows Aiden present-day Seattle. There are funny moments, poignant moments, sexy moments, and deep moments.

And then the plot twist that made me scream occurred. It also kept me turning the pages (well, hitting the arrow button on my Nook) to figure out just how on earth Tefft was going to resolve this interesting situation.

In my effort to keep my reviews spoiler free, let me say this: I’ve never wanted my heroine to stay dead so bad. And I haven’t cried that much while reading a book since I read My Sister’s Keeper.
My only issue with this book (and it’s a minor/personal one) is that the ending felt contrived. A little too convenient for me. Again, it’s personal taste, and endings are HARD. This one at least left me with a sense of elation and closure. I’m incredibly curious to read the continuation of Lindsey and Aiden’s story.


(got a review of Between or Hell Transporter? E-mail vicki.trask@gmail.com)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment